I get so many things done in 2 h 20 on the Eurostar, it’s amazing!
Reports, worksheets, presentations, everything gets done very efficiently.
So I started wondering why is it the case? Here are the answers and the conclusive 5 best office productivity tips ever.
The main reason is that I am fully isolated from networks of all kinds, and I don’t have anyone knocking at the door. I sit down, plug in, open the laptop and I work.
The fact that there is no wifi on the Eurostar can be a handicap, but in this case it’s a big advantate: no network, no e-mails, no Twitter, no Skype.
Plus, there is a constant background noise but no particular events to distract me. So I actually feel like in a bubble and achieve high levels of concentration.
So how could you get more productive in office?
1. Close all browser windows; (or at least close Twitter and Facebook)
2. Close your e-mail client; (or at least turn off any alerts and popups)
3. Close Skype/IM; (or at least set yourself on “do not disturb”)
4. Put your cell phone on silent. (even better if you turn it off).
5. Close the door with a sign “do not disturb”. (it’s old school? well, it works.)
On the same lines… check out this fabulous picture: the Bermuda Triangle of productivity.